A rare opportunity! Tour THREE of the iconic Steel Development Houses (Steel #1, #2 and #4) designed by the architectural firm of Wexler & Harrison in 1962. In 2001, the steel houses were designated Class 1 Historic Sites by the city of Palm Springs, and Steel House #2 was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2012. In 2014 Steel House #1 underwent an extensive rehabilitation supervised by Lance O’Donnell, AIA of o2 Architecture in close consultation with architect Don Wexler. Likewise, Steel House #4 received a comprehensive renovation in 2016. The steel houses show how the combination of architectural imagination and factory-built components created a flexibility of construction that continues to inspire architects today. The ticket price includes a copy of PSPF’s popular 60-page tribute journal Donald Wexler: Architect.
The Palm Springs Preservation Foundation is a non-profit organization whose mission is “to educate and promote public awareness of the importance of preserving the historical resources and architecture of the city of Palm Springs and the Coachella Valley area.” PSPF offers free membership as a public benefit. To learn more about the work of the foundation see www.pspreservationfoundation.org.
Things to Know
- This event is for ages 18 and older.
- No children or pets and no smoking please.
- To avoid confusion, and as a courtesy to other tourgoers, please arrive at your designated tour start time.
- Interior photography is at the discretion of individual homeowners.
- Please be respectful of the neighborhood and do not park in front of mail boxes or driveways.
- This event is organized by Palm Springs Preservation Foundation.
Event Check-in Location
3125 North Sunnyview Drive, Palm Springs, CA 92262
Photo Credits:Courtesy John Lewis Marshall, James Butchart, and Palm Springs Preservation Foundation.
|No items available.|